2014 has been a busy year at the Tamar Canoe Club with a number of new initiatives and a continuation of many old;
- We started off the year with the continuation of the Hadspen flat water race series, where all paddlers were improving.
- The Gorge Festival of Canoe Polo was held in early February and achieved a good turnout of old and new players and many interested spectators.
- The Longford club open day, had canoe polo and the inaugural “under 3” trip as well as a play on the Longford Weir wave.
- Under 3 trips for beginner paddlers, were carried out monthly over the course of the year and will be continued next year.
- Two seasons of Canoe Polo were played in both A and B Grade with the standard of play in both grades improving.
- The Ben Lomond Descent was delayed due to bad weather, but when it went ahead a great time was had by all in some beautiful weather.
- We launched the Cataract whitewater challenge, on the challenging slalom rapid of the cataract gorge to a great turn out of competitors and interested spectators.
- We again hosted the Canoe Polo state championships which included the introduction of a Women’s/Juniors division.
- The Hadspen races started up again, with tight finishes and lots of improvement the order of the day.
- Finally the introduction of Tamar Paddle Power, has led to an influx of members children playing on the water while learning important skills.
- There was also a massive amount of recreational paddling done from seakayaking on the Tasman Peninsula, white water on the West Coast, the constant use of the North Esk and when Hydro drained Parangana dam creating paddleable water on the Upper Mersey for most of winter.
I would like to thank everyone who has volunteered to be part of the organisation and running of the club events, many hands make light work.
Coming up in the new year we have a number of events planned;
- Hadpsen races start again on Tuesday January 13th.
- A Womens/Family kayaking day with instruction on Sunday February 1st.
- Tamar Paddle Power recommences Sunday February 8th.
We will be adding more events as they are planned so keep an eye out on the website, facebook and paddle flash.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year